Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: As Hospital Prices Soar, A single Stitch Tops $500

Posted 10 years ago on Dec. 3, 2013, 11:12 a.m. EST by Nevada1 (5843)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

33 Comments

33 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by Nevada1 (5843) 10 years ago

Corporate Imperialism

[-] 4 points by beautifulworld (23772) 10 years ago

Yet wages have been heading down for 40 years.

That is correct. Medical----Mechanism of Slavery.

Economic tyranny.

[-] 4 points by Nevada1 (5843) 10 years ago

Medical Weaponized

Imagine going into debt to get a stitch.

Had a tonsillectomy in 1958 as a young kid. Total cost was $200 for one night in hospital and everything. What would it cost today? Minimum wage was about $1 back then, but that dollar was worth a huge amount more than minimum wage today.

[-] 5 points by beautifulworld (23772) 10 years ago

People were able to pay cash for their healthcare back then. Today, they go into debt to get a stitch. I just did some research and one place said $6500 without insurance, total, for a tonsillectomy.

Wage up 7x, procedure up 32.5x------Ouch.

Ooooh. You did the math. Very good, Nevada. That is powerful. Economic tyranny!

(Not sure what the big white space is above what I say. LOL.)

And with all this cost, quality of med care decreasing--------- http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-many-die-from-medical-mistakes-in-us-hospitals

[-] 3 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 10 years ago

Wheres my sewing basket and rubbing alcohol?

You made a good point.

It isn't something one wants to do - but it can be done - even butterfly band-aids and superglue.

[-] 6 points by Nevada1 (5843) 10 years ago

Have done the self-help thing a few times, to avoid ER.

Me 2 - all of those 1st aid classes I had growing-up were good to have had.

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 10 years ago

Deep cuts heal fine, if you immobilise them.

I don't go anywhere near a hospital, if I can help it.

We have these "super" clinics all over the place, and many of them "bulk bill", meaning you don't have to pay a bean.

[-] 3 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 10 years ago

For any wound where there's a risk of infection, including animal bites (except venom or rabies-related), salt water is your best friend. I have a feeling you already know this, though.

Thank you gnomunny, for info. Good to know.

[-] 2 points by gnomunny (6819) from St Louis, MO 10 years ago

Hi, Nev1, and thanks.

Common table salt is all you need. Add it to warm water and don't spare the salt. As long as the wound is open so the salt can get in you're good. I've had blood poisoning twice and it worked like a charm both times.

[Removed]

[-] 2 points by Nevada1 (5843) 10 years ago

Please tell us more about medical in Australia.

[-] 2 points by Builder (4202) 10 years ago

Here's a basic over-view of the "free" health-care available, Nevada "Medicare is the scheme that gives Australian residents access to health care. To help fund the scheme, most taxpayers pay a Medicare levy of 1.5% of their taxable income, over the tax-free threshold. Your Medicare levy is reduced if your income is below a certain threshold and in some cases you may not have to pay the levy at all. The thresholds are higher for seniors. If your income is above the thresholds, you may still qualify for a reduction based on your family taxable income."

Individuals and families can also opt for a higher level of private health insurance cover, to avoid having to wait to have operations that are deemed to be non life-threatening. The cost of this higher insurance cover is a redeemable tax deduction, and the govt encourages everyone to take out private cover, by sweetening the pot with incentives.

Certain medications are on list of govt-funded (not free) drugs, and some medications must be paid for in full.

[-] 5 points by Nevada1 (5843) 10 years ago

(reply option missing from your last post, so am replying here) Thank you for additional info. US medical is a Train Wreck. Extreme cost and frightful medical mistakes (Please see Scientific America link above on my BW reply).

Australia Medical is a Success Story. Corporations running US medical, do not seem to care if we live or die.

It does seem to be a total mess in the US (and UK, I've heard). Things aren't totally effective in Australia either, but we have options, which every so-called developed nation should have. Choices are a part of any intelligent debate.

I'd still like to see more focus on the effects of diet and lifestyle, on our own health. Our AMA seems to be in denial about that connection, however obvious is seems to be in other literature available.

We need to educate everyone (children in particular) that fast food is not a staple diet, and the nutrient value is close to zero in a lot of people's daily habitual eating. If fast food makes up most of your weekly intake of kilojoules (calories metric) then you are guaranteed to become chronically ill, and a lifelong burden upon your own family, as well as society, and the health system.

Thank you Builder. Excellent.

You're welcome, Nevada1.

I neglected to mention these "super clinics". They're like mini-hospitals, with several doctors in attendance, some 24 hours. To attract more clientelle, these clinics often offer a "bulk-billing" service, where the customers don't pay upfront at all. Usually a non-hospital doctor's visit will cost about fifty dollars, and you get about thirty-five dollars of that back from Medicare, but to save a lot of paperwork at Medicare, doctors can "bulk-bill" for patient visits, getting slightly less money, but they don't have to handle cash at all, so there's benefits for them, like not having to worry about being held up by criminals.

Let me know if there's anything else you need to know about the system. My sister works in fraud detection for Medicare. Interesting line of work, she says.

[-] -2 points by hotdays (-3) from Miami, FL 10 years ago

rambo

[-] 1 points by AlwaysIntoSomething (42) 10 years ago

$55,000 for appendectomy:

http://www.viralnova.com/hospital-bill/

Unreal.

[-] 2 points by Nevada1 (5843) 10 years ago

Ouch

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 10 years ago

don't like the price ?

you can always "choose" to die

[-] -1 points by Copiosis (19) 10 years ago

Incredible increases in the cost of care. Seems to me the DIY approach to emergency care, at least in the cases outlined in the article, make more sense. Super glue works great I hear, although I've never used it before.

What I find kind of amusing is, the more people avoid hospitals, it seems - based on my basic economic understanding - that costs will inevitably continue to increase. Not sure there is an end in sight to this other than changing the game entirely.

[+] -4 points by twerkie (-8) 10 years ago

Time for revolotion!!! Down with doctors theves!!!!!!!!

[-] 2 points by Narley (272) 10 years ago

I don't think it's the doctors or nurses as much as the corporate hospital chains. The hospital corporations are profit oriented. For example, I'm om medicare and have supplemental insurance. Two months ago I went to ER for a bad belly ache. They did some lab work and took some pictures. Turned out to be a minor problem. They gave me some antibiotics. But the pictures showed a growth on my kidney. They wanted to put me in the hospital and remove the kidney6. I said no, I wanted to talk to my family doctor first. A couple days later I talked to my doctor and he looked at the pictures, He said it wasn't that bad and nothing needed to be done right now. He said he's just monitor it. My point is it seems hospitals will perform unnecessary procedures just for the money. They new I could pay and wanted to do an unneeded procedure.