Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: A Proposal for Unity. The 100%

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 18, 2011, 12:26 a.m. EST by AndrewK47 (26)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

I think OWS needs to state clear and concrete goals to stop Media from twisting the message, and other organizations from hijacking the movement. Also it would help to gain more followers. I think the goals should unify people from different idealogies. These proposed goals are: 1.) Fix corrupt govermnent. Two proposed methods of doing so are: a. Campaign Finance Reform b. Lobbying Reform 2.) Protect the Freedom of Speech at all costs.

I feel like these two goals were the original message of the movement and why most joined. If we officially declare this as our message, I do not think it will hurt us in anyway.

18 Comments

18 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 2 points by Sinaminn (104) from Sarasota, FL 12 years ago

Focusing on these issues will unite Americans and result in positive changes. Everything else is too divisive.

[-] 2 points by 2012shockingtruth (29) 12 years ago

You are on target. Government corruption is a major concern and your proposals to address that problem are both good. Hopefully we can do even more in that area such as investigate all congressmen to find and document any illicit funds they have received and stashed away out of sight.

We need to protect freedom of speech and other freedoms as well. In the name of national security or personal security the government has been stripping away our rights.

[-] 1 points by AndrewK47 (26) 12 years ago

bump. compassion peace unity

[-] 1 points by IcareNY (4) 12 years ago

I do like your proposals ! And I think #1 is very important. If you succeed in that alone it will be a accomplishment .

[-] 1 points by Joyce (375) 12 years ago

And rid the movement of extreme elements.......hmmm, the Canadians come to mind...

You are right 2012 shocking truth. Maybe a third bullet on how to fix the corruption is to investigate members of congress. People who are responsible for corrupt actions should lose their authority, and probably be thrown in jail. Someone shared this link with me, I believe it is just the tip of the iceberg with the potential corruption going on. Members of Congress are not above the law and if they break it they should go to jail. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45287592#.Tsa2eYBW6et

[-] 1 points by junkie (1) 12 years ago

Worth Reading

This Is What Revolution Looks Like http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/this_is_what_revolution_looks_like_20111115/ Posted on Nov 15, 2011 By Chris Hedges

Welcome to the revolution. Our elites have exposed their hand. They have nothing to offer. They can destroy but they cannot build. They can repress but they cannot lead. They can steal but they cannot share. They can talk but they cannot speak. They are as dead and useless to us as the water-soaked books, tents, sleeping bags, suitcases, food boxes and clothes that were tossed by sanitation workers Tuesday morning into garbage trucks in New York City. They have no ideas, no plans and no vision for the future.

[-] 1 points by toddndallastx (20) 12 years ago

We will NEVER cause the change I believe we are trying to affect unless we define our premise in ways that everyone can support you and in a way that revolutionary change can occur. Tackle TRUE CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM. Demand laws that state that a politician CANNOT accept or spend ANY contribution that does not come from a citizen that he or she would represent. No PACs...no corporate donations. Even push for a Constitutional Amendment. Everyone would join in on this.

[-] 1 points by toddndallastx (20) 12 years ago

You will NEVER cause the change I believe you are trying to affect unless you define your premise in ways that everyone can support you and in a way that revolutionary change can occur. Tackle TRUE CAMPAIGN FINANCE REFORM. Demand laws that state that a politician CANNOT accept or spend ANY contribution that does not come from a citizen that he or she would represent. No PACs...no corporate donations. Even push for a Constitutional Amendment. Everyone would join you on this.

Once we have established our goals, we can explore deeper how to go about the specifics of affecting "true" change. This is assuming ending corruption is a goal of OWS. The next step is to figure out how to go about doing this. You propose a type of campaign finance reform. Some people might have other ideas of how to go about doing it

My sentiment exactly Sinaminn. The Two Party system divides the American people. United we stand divided we fall. The goals I proposed are specific but simple at the same time. I don't think I've met a single person at OWS who would disagree with these goals, only people who might suggest that we shouldn't formally put forth "demands."

[Deleted]

Unity between a family is more imposed by situation and societal views of familial structure while working together with your community is much more of a voluntary agreement.

[-] 1 points by itsbeentriedandfailed (29) 12 years ago

As a Tea Party Patriot I am with you. Form a coalition. We have to get the message out now. Don't forget to reinstate the Glass-Steagle Act.

This is why I think my proposed goals can be successful. Typically Tea Partiers and OWS participants are on opposite ends of the debate. However, I think every OWS participant, as well as everyone in the Tea Party, and everyone in between, can agree that these are issues in our society that need to be addressed before we can begin to even hope for real change.

This is my reasoning for proposing such a short list of "demands" or "goals." If there must be laws, shouldn't they be simple, easy to understand, and understandably justifiable? Doesn't it seem like these long, wordy, bureaucratic bills in Congress that often get thing snuck in and tacked on also have a lot of loopholes where greed can take advantage?

[Deleted]

I'm not sure what you mean. I just feel that the way current laws are drafted do not have enough transparency and most Americans do not understand how things work. This leaves for loopholes for corruption. A majority of Americans should not only participate in Democracy, but be able to understand with without having a PhD in politics and economics.

[-] 0 points by ChristopherABrownART5 (46) from Santa Barbara, CA 12 years ago

Again, unity around creating constitutional government includes all of the worthy goals. We need an article 5 convention NOW!

Article V conference, Lawrence Lessig at harvard 9/25/11-other attendee video comments http://vimeo.com/31464745

Lessig power point on article V http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gpbfY-atMk

[-] 0 points by ChristopherABrownART5 (46) from Santa Barbara, CA 12 years ago

1.),2,) are good. The method to gain the needed authority needs to be a prime consideration. 1.) is a huge order. We don't even know how big:) -

Stop media from twisting the message AND stop law enforcement and municipal leaders from abusing your rights in any way by standing clearly for the US constitution. This is easily structured, they cannot oppose your assembly in this condition without clear public safety issues. Assembly in demand for enforcement of the US constitution by the states through Article 5 is the avenue prescribed by law. The Declaration of Independence mandates it.

That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

IF we can create constitutional government, and we haven't had it for 140 years, THEN all these issues will be resolved very well. All we have to do is stand and use our first, and last constitutional right, NOW!

ON EDIT:BTW, there is a good offensive manuever that can be used by the movement from that position to show the public what media is really doing to America.