Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: A Conversation in 1984.... Orwell was a prophet.

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 11, 2011, 5:52 p.m. EST by newearthorder (295)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

O'Brien: There are thought criminals who maintain that the resistance is not real. Believe me, Winston, it is very real. Perhaps you are not familiar with how it operates.

Winston Smith: I am attentive to the news.

O'Brien: Indeed. Then perhaps you imagine a huge network of conspirators prepared to commit any atrocity to weaken and demoralize the order of our society. The reality is infinitely more subtle. If Goldstein himself fell into the hands of the Thought Police, he could not give them a list of his agents. Such a list does not exist. They are not an organization in the sense we know. Nothing holds it together but an idea.

34 Comments

34 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 1 points by koloneci (72) 12 years ago

You've heard of a wire-tap. The wire-tap has become quite the tool for the intrusive agencies of our Government.

Have you heard of a social-tap? A bit more intrusive, and is ever present on boards such as this one.

From the information gathered, a matrix of sentiment can be collected from the populace.

Here, you now have an ear to whisper, shout and scream in.

These boards are a much more driving force for change than what is happening on the street. It must be directed at the right target though.

The whole premise of these BB's are to organize a movement. But, that is wrong. The real power is the potential to educate the readers and to send a message via the social-tap.

[-] 1 points by rickMoss (435) 12 years ago

I know it's hard to believe but you have to: “WE ARE FREE!!!” (Take off the blinders) Isn't that why we're here?

http://WeAreFree.osixs.org Wake----Up! It's time to throw off the chains...

FIGHT THE CAUSE - NOT THE SYMPTOM

[-] 1 points by ZenDogTroll (13032) from South Burlington, VT 12 years ago

Speaking of thought criminals . . . being one I just can't resist. Here's Crowded House, The Weather With You

Walking 'round The Room Singing Stormy Weather at Fifty Seven Mount Pleasant Street well It's The Same Room But Everything's Different you Can Fight The Sleep But Not The Dream

things Ain't Cooking In My Kitchen strange Affliction Wash Over Me julius Caesar And The Roman Empire couldn't Conquer The Blue Sky

well There's A Small Boat Made Of China is Going Nowhere On The Mantelpiece well Do I Lie Like A Lounge Room Lizard or Do I Sing Like A Bird Released

everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather With You everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather With You everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather the Weather With You

everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather With You everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather With You everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather take The Weather, The Weather With You

everywhere You Go You Always Take The Weather With You ....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIb6I8gtgtw

[-] 0 points by newearthorder (295) 12 years ago

Don't forget: Slavery is freedom!

yeah-ya.

arbeit macht frei

[-] 1 points by notaneoliberal (2269) 12 years ago

prophet

I was trying to make a clever play on words, but your right, it didn't work.

It isn't your fault. I need glasses . . .

[-] 1 points by notaneoliberal (2269) 12 years ago

Your 1984 analogy is right on the mark.

Power is tearing human minds apart and putting them back together in new shapes of your own choosing.

[-] -1 points by owschico (295) 12 years ago

OWS is not doing anything but asking for a bigger boot to stomp on the face of humanity forever

[-] 2 points by jph (2652) 12 years ago

What boot is that? The one that comes from restoring Democracy,. and ending the bankster pyramid scam of money creation?

[-] -2 points by owschico (295) 12 years ago

democracy is a terrible form of government, why would you want democracy?

[-] 2 points by jph (2652) 12 years ago

What boot are you spamming about? Why do you not answer? Democracy is freedom. Kleptocracy is what we have.

Cling to the past, the future will set you free regardless.

[-] 0 points by owschico (295) 12 years ago

you obviously do not have a very good grasp on history, our founders knew the dangers of democracy. That is why we were given a republic.

[-] 1 points by jph (2652) 12 years ago

A lot has changed in two hundred years,. why keep living in that history. Why cling only to what you where given, how about making something new something better. You defend a system of elite control and yet you are not one of those elite, why? Take back control from the few.

[-] -1 points by Jimboiam (812) 12 years ago

The Republic is not the system of elite control. WE have lost our Republic and moved toward an oligarchy. We need to go back to our Republic, not some insane democracy that will move us further down the road to the Oligarchy. Ever consider it is the people demanding more services from the government and less personal accountability that has lost us our freedom? If you are so upset about the state of things, stop asking the government to do everything.

I know you guys get this crap form the AM hate radio, but do try to think for yourself, at least a bit.
A republic is a representative form of government, you vote once for some representative and they then go to the halls of power and do whatever the hell they want in your name. This is what we have been experiencing, these proxy representatives get corrupted and controlled any number of ways. You only need to look at public opinion poles to see this system does not even come close to representing the will of the people. How is democracy "insane" if all the people have a say in the decisions that effect them, they will not let the few continue to take so much from the many. People will not support decisions that destroy their communities and their environment, they will not support wars over seas that make profits for the few while killing so many that had no say in the matter. The idea of a representative republic is a control by the few over the will and lives of the many, it is a bad system, and we have ample proof of this fact.

[-] 2 points by koloneci (72) 12 years ago

You've heard of a wire-tap. The wire-tap has become quite the tool for the intrusive agencies of our Government.

Have you heard of a social-tap? A bit more intrusive, and is ever present on boards such as this one.

From the information gathered, a matrix of sentiment can be collected from the populace.

Here, you now have an ear to whisper, shout and scream in.

These boards are a much more driving force for change than what is happening on the street. It must be directed at the right target though.

The whole premise of these BB's are to organize a movement. But, that is wrong. The real power is the potential to educate the readers and to send a message via the social-tap.

[-] -1 points by Jimboiam (812) 12 years ago

You are an ideologue who has no knowledge of history or politics. Funny you are accusing me of listening to some right wing radio, which i never do, or watching fox which i never do, but yet you are spewing the same talking points as most leftists. Learn a lesson. Propaganda is best when not listened to.

I say we take a vote on that.

[-] 0 points by KnowledgeableFellow (471) 12 years ago

The founding fathers were adamant about not having a democracy. There is absolutely no protection of any minority with a democracy. I don't want that kind of country. Our country is better than that, I wonder why you want the tyranny that has always come with a democracy throughout history.

I see,..well,..how else do you do it,..to ensure justice and equality, then?

[Removed]

exactly

my point exactly

[-] -2 points by KnowledgeableFellow (471) 12 years ago

Come on folks, you have to admit that was funny. Profit....hahahahahahahaha

Well, he probably made a profit from the book. I'm betting it made more money after his departure.

It's fine with me that he, and others, made a profit.

[-] -2 points by KnowledgeableFellow (471) 12 years ago

Orwell was a profit....now that is funny. Really funny. And this on a board made up mostly of anti-capitalists. So, I guess Orwell was bad and hideous and the root of all our problems.? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Are you mentally challenged?

Not at all. I know the difference between a profit and a prophet. You have to be a real sour puss not to see the humor in that mis-use of words.

apparently it has been changed,. whatever.

Yep, apparently. The original said Orwell was a profit. It was funny.

I write better when I'm drunk, but I need to edit when I'm sober.