Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: 99% IS NOT ENOUGH: Why we need to get to 100% in order to truly succeed

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 20, 2011, 5:45 p.m. EST by therising (6643)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

99% is great, but 100% is even better and is necessary for us to truly win. United we stand. Divided we fall. If we really want a successful movement, if we really want a successful revolution with good end result, then we must remember that the means inform the ends and we must therefore stay true to nonviolent principles.

In keeping with this we must love the 1%.

The 1% are LOST and that is what causes them to be greedy and heartless at times. They're not happy having over abundance. They're trapped by all that stuff. They define themselves by it.

The form of the word love I'm referring to is agape, universal love. We're talking about love of humanity, knowing that at the core of every being, however hidden, is a core of goodness. Once you see that, it becomes less about fighting and hating (which only hurts the hater really) and more about loving the lost so they find themselves and stop clumsily hurting the other 99% of the population.

That's not to say there aren't lost among the 99% too who find their identity in money and things or the hope of obtaining them. I'm critiquing that mindset no matter what the person's net worth is.

It's clear though that the financial winners in this current economy have a pretty big devotion to things and money for its own sake. Otherwise they wouldn't trade their values and sell their kids, grandkids, country and their fellow citizens down the river just to get from $4.8 billion net worth to $5.2 billion in net worth.

Obviously I'm leaving out the harm they cause to the environment and other countries and the citizens of the world. It's not just the CONSUMER that buys the pair of sketchers sneakers made by 6 year olds in China at a factory that pollutes the air and water. It's also the producer who makes the decision, raises the capital, arranges the marketing etc.

Everyone loves to blame the consumer, whether it's people who buy Nike or homebuyers who borrowed money from Bush's buddy Countrywide's Anthony Mozillo. Yes, consumers should educate themselves and make good choices. Completely agree and I'm not letting consumers off the hook.

But let's not forget the hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars of marketing that goes on to perpetuate these brands and this business model. Absent a regulatory superwoman like Elizabeth Warren pushing for consistent disclosure,, it's not easy for consumer to see through the smokescreen. That doesn't let the consumer off the hook but it does put the PRODUCER on the hook. They've been given a pass for too long.

The head of Interface Carpet, world's largest supplier of carpet, has woken up to this and has been telling fellow top CEO's, they're going to be putting people like us in jail soon (people who make money by polluting environment and ruining economy).

He's right.

That said, we're going to have to follow Gandhi and King's example and engage in active nonviolent tactics. And we're going to have to do so with the right mindset: loving the 1% enough to set them right. That was King's prescription and that's how he and his supporters won civil rights for millions. It wasn't just the tactics. It was also the mindset. It works.

The saddest part about the concentration of wealth in this country is that it's most often just stored or used for junk. Granted, the junk of the 1% is bigger, fancier and more long lasting than ours, but the key is that the buzz they get from it quickly fades. So it becomes an addiction just like any other addiction. They're going after the dopamine buzz and it gets harder and harder to get it.

If they're lucky, they come to their wits end and discover family, art, life, love, whatever. But most don't, the poor saps. Their extravagant resources enslave them. It seems strange to say but we need compassion for the 1% too. We really do. For our own good and theirs. The reason they're plundering the world is that they're lost.

There's a move in the martial art Aikido where, when your opponent aggresses towards you, you take a slight step to the side. Then, instead of aggressing towards him, you move with him and "help him to the ground where he'll be safer." It's remarkable because you use his energy. You harness it. And you do it with the true motivation of helping him. I agree with others who say that all power flows from that mindset and approach.

Check out this short video -- gotta watch all three minutes to see what happens. Shows exactly why nonviolence is so powerful. If these people had gone with violence, they would have lost. Watch this. You won't believe your eyes. This was on college campus recently: http://occupywallst.org/forum/this-says-it-all-what-were-up-against-and-how-we-w/

29 Comments

29 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by RedJazz43 (2757) 12 years ago

Actually, we could probably do it with 60 or 70%, or realistically with perhaps 100 million or so. I'm serious. That doesn't mean 100 million "supporters" That means 100 million people occupying their work places. That's the way to go after corporate power. Seize all corporate power democratically from below and reorganize it in the interests of everybody, not just a handful of stock holders.

The squeemish among you might complain that this is a revolutionary proposition and that Americans are not ready for a revolution. The revolutionaries in OWS agree. But they are patient. Patience is a revolutionary virtue. It may take years, decades or several lifetimes.

Ironically it is the squeemish moderates among us who are most impatient and who think that campaign finance reform or some other nostrum will fix everything. Look to the top of this page. Right under Occupy Wall Street is says The world wide revolution continues! Do you think that is serious or is it mere hyperbole. Certainly most people I know would hardly call something as trivial as campaign finance reform revolutionary. Long live the revolution! Solidarity forever!

[-] 2 points by therising (6643) 12 years ago

You're right about many things here including the patience part. What I'm worried about is the demonizing of the 1%. Inside they're good. Just misguided. Our ends won't be good if our means include hatred.

[-] 4 points by RedJazz43 (2757) 12 years ago

The issue is not whether the 1% are good or bad, moral or immoral or whether they beat their wives and kids or kick their dogs. The issue is their material interests are different than ours. That is the point. They are not misguided. They are legally stealing everything we produce for them because it is in their material interest to do so and they have the law on their side. I try not to hate anyone, but I am aware when somebody's material interests are contrary to my own.

The revolution continues worldwide! Solidarity forever!

We just need to avoid hatred because it poisons US. We just need to avoid violence because it completely undermines our effort.

If we want to win, we should follow the lead of movements like those led by King and Gandhi. They achieved HUGE wins. Are we so presumptuous to think we know better?

Gandhi and King understood that the means informed the ends. We should not even FLIRT with harried or violence. It would be foolish. We would lose.

[-] 2 points by RedJazz43 (2757) 12 years ago

We are an international movement. I don't notice the Egyptians being especially nonviolent right now. Think they should be? My point is nonviolence is a tactic. That's all. It's not a way of organizing society or the economy. I'm a Quaker and as such a pacifist, but I suspect that there are not more than a few hundred absolute pacifists in the United States today, even among the Society of Friends. And it is for sure certain that the vast majority of OWS supporters, including its most active supporters are most certainly not absolute pacifists. Nonviolence is a tactic. That is all. A good tactic, certainly, a very good tactic, an excellent tactic indeed, but it should not be fettishized into some kind of mystical holy grail.

[-] 1 points by therising (6643) 12 years ago

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Seriously. How is nonviolence a fetish? Why do you keep talking about pacifists? What does that have to do with being committed to active nonviolence? Why do you keep leaving the door open for violence? What do you mean by Egyptians not being "especially violent". You're either violent or you're not. I am especially concerned with you attempting to define nonviolence as a mere tactic. There is nothing "mere" about it. It's a huge commitment. A completely different approach. It involves a core love for all humanity (agape). There is nothing small about that. It is a radically different point of view from the one that separates and divides and hates.

Why do you feel the need to diminish that?

[-] 2 points by KnaveDave (357) 12 years ago

I agree. Here are the kinds of demonizing statements being made about people in the Occupy movement:

The movement is a “growing mob” (House majority leader Eric Cantor) or “shiftless protestors” (The Tea Party Express) or “pure, genuine parasites,” “bored trust-fund kids” (Rush Limbaugh) or is engaged in “class warfare.” “This is a coordinated movement on the part of unions and Obama supporters to distract the American people from the real problem.” (GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain) or the movement is made up of… people who need to “take a shower and get a job.” “There really isn’t a uniform theme here. They don’t know what they want.” (Bill O’Reilly) or “If you put every left wing cause in a blender and hit power, this is the sludge you’d get. It’s basically anti-capitalism, and they want to redistribute the wealth.” (Jesse Watters, FOXnation) “700 left-wing, radical hippie protestors.” “The people [in the movement] take a crap on cop cars and have sex in public.” “It’s a pig pen out there.” ”They’re trust-fund babies.” ”This radicalism is class warfare inspired by leading Democrats.” “Who gets the bailouts? It’s Barack Obama!” (Sean Hannity) “These are the spawn of the worst excesses of the ideological left…. This is manufactured chaos, manufactured crises. It has been since day one, and we’re seeing all of the ugly, wretched, criminal manifestations of it.” (Michelle Malkin) They have even been called… “nuts and lunatics and fascists” (Karl Rove), “demonic loons” (Ann Coulter), and “Radicals, revolutionaries, Communists and Islamists that are working together to destroy Capitalism and the Western way of life. They’re calling for the violent overthrow of the United States government.” (Glenn Beck)

(excerpt from http://thegreatrecession.info/blog/2011/11/occupy-wall-street-now-unoccupied-but-stronger)

Republican commentators, more than Republican followers, love Wall Street. The Occupy movement has lasted too long to be ignored. So, the Republican mouthpieces are slinging crap at the movement. If the movement starts to look like what they are saying, their crap will stick. So, embrace Republican followers, speak out clearly about the ways in which you do not fit those labels, show yourself peaceful, etc., and it won't stick. Rise above the garbage that is thrown at you. Stay within the law, but stay visible and vocal. Many are doing an excellent job of this, so hats off to them!

--Knave Dave http://TheGreatRecession.info/blog

Wow! Great comment and info! Thank you! Right on.

[-] 1 points by KnaveDave (357) 12 years ago

Thanks. And you're welcome.

--Knave Dave http://TheGreatRecession.info/blog

[Removed]

[-] 2 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

there are international laws that take the power away from an oppressed region to enforce regulations

Trying to understand what you're getting at...

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

if a developer comes to a country

the country has little choice in regulating them

So what should be done?

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago

these countries are often helpless due to debts they cannot pay

some sort of debt forgiveness

OK. I like that.

[-] 1 points by f34r (7) 12 years ago

when yelling and standing around can gain us no more ground, what then?

ARIS

[-] 1 points by RantCasey (782) from Saginaw, MI 12 years ago

Nice post

Thanks for the encouragement

[-] 1 points by RantCasey (782) from Saginaw, MI 12 years ago

No problem I didn't have anything to add to it but I thought it really hit the mark. My anger is so mad at the wealthy that I forget we can pass legislation that can help everyone

It would make a huge difference. Worth the huge effort.

Is it the consumer or the producer or both that is responsible?

100% is the key. 99% not quite enough.

[-] 2 points by shadz66 (19985) 12 years ago

100% ?! When do we ever get '100%' in regard to ANY matter ?!! Consider that utopian, hippy platitudes may well be considered 'Anti-RevoluJah' !!!

You don't get it. No one ever said perfection will be achieved. The point is that when we go after the 1%, we need to be sure we do it with the right mindset, helping them, loving them enough to set them right. Otherwise we poison our own ends with negative means. We can't write them off or we undermine the very principle we are attempting to live by. The hatred poisons us not them. We demean OURSELVES when we hate according to King and Gandhi.

[-] 1 points by shadz66 (19985) 12 years ago

"Hate" ?! That's your introduction of the word here. NOT mine ... even IF I "don't get it" !

You accept that "perfection" can NOT be achieved yet expect that The Avaricious & Larcenous sub-1% will somehow come to their senses. If you've got time, energy and inclination to 'help them & love them' "enough to set them right", then you are a better person than I am.

I'll simply settle for some semblance of justice, NOT to be cheated & stolen from And NOT to be expected to be party to Bailing Out Private Businesses who made Private Business Decisions at their own Private Risk.

I STRONGLY advocate 'Non Violence' but I'm NOT a Pacifist NOR do I advocate 'quiescence' & re. 'OWS' Gandhian Ideas are VERY Important and thus : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyagraha .

Re. The 0.01% (because 1% is a way too big a fraction to accurately represent The Real Criminals) ... Sanctimony has its moments but 'Now' isn't one of them !

fiat justitia ruat caelum ...

It's not about us vs them. It's about us all rising together to a new mindset, a new way of operating.

How do you define success?

[Removed]

[Removed]

[-] 0 points by TIOUAISE (2526) 12 years ago

Right you are, "therising"!

OWS is a phenomenal GIFT to the American people, INCLUDING THE 1%.

If the OWS Movement were to be successfully thwarted, it would be a CATASTROPHE for the 100%.

As "Marlow" writes on another thread : "Without the OWS Movement in this country, there would be violence from the overwhelming OUTRAGE the majority are experiencing".

Our nation is presently at a critical juncture in its history and OWS is offering a peaceful and sensible way out of this crisis, just as Nelson Mandela offered to South Africa under apartheid.

If the 1% is insane enough to reject this GIFT, then the words of John F. Kennedy may well come to pass :

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." (John F. Kennedy, 35th president of US, in a speech at the White House, 1962)

WAKE UP, 1%, or be responsible in the eyes of history and in the eyes of your Maker for the destruction of this great nation!