Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: 40 Years on: Remembering the First 9/11 ~ & Today's Shock Doctrine

Posted 10 years ago on Sept. 11, 2013, 11:56 a.m. EST by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

40 Years on: Remembering the First 9/11

Follow the Money to today's Shock Doctrine redistribution of wealth to the 1%!

Wednesday, 11 September 2013 09:45 By Peter Mayo, CounterPunch | News Analysis

Wednesday 11th September 2013 marks the fortieth anniversary of what in Latin America is referred to as ‘El primer 11 de septiembre’(the first 11th September). It is the fortieth anniversary of the bloody coup which paved the way, and is said to have been deliberately staged to pave the way, for the introduction of the very same neoliberal reforms that, later at a global level, are shown to have benefited from the measures adopted post 9/11/2001. 9/11/2001 marks the third 11th September following the one in Chile and later the coup in Turkey, for similar reasons (paving the way for a neoliberal market economy), which was staged a day later, that is on the 12th September, this time in 1980.

That attack on the presidential palace (La Moneda) in Santiago, Chile, of Tuesday September 11th 1973 brought an end to one of the longest parliamentary democracies in the region and paved the way for the policies and blueprints developed by the Chicago Boys, Chilean economists , who were sold on Milton Friedman’s principles, to start being implemented against the backdrop of a reign of fascist terror. This reign led to the execution of thousands of declared or suspected leftists. Among the victims were intellectuals such as the major nueva canción composer, Victor Jara,i who was killed by death squads in a sports stadium that is now named after him. A belated trial regarding his execution started this year. In fact, on 28 December 2012, Judge Miguel Vazquez accused Pedro Barrientos Nunez (who resides in the USA), a former lieutenant, and Hugo Sanchez Marmonti, an ex-colonel, of involvement in Jara’s murder. There have been calls to the US government, notably by Jara’s widow, Joan Turner, to extradite Barientos.ii

The national football stadium (not the one where Jara was executed), due to host a qualification decider for the 1974 World Cup (soccer), between Chile and the USSR (ironic, given the alleged links between the Allende government and the Soviet union), became a veritable concentration camp where people were interrogated, tortured or threatened to be shot. The USSR refused to turn up for the qualifier affirming its refusal to play on a field associated with events leading to the demise of several victims of the military regime, thus granting Chile an automatic qualification to the W. Germany World Cup. Thousands were killed, tortured or simply ‘disappeared’ in the first months of the regime.

Survivors such as UK citizen, medical doctor, Sheila Cassidy spoke of the horrors of torture carried out by DINA the Chilean secret police. This is a common feature of the Monroe Doctrine meant to protect US ‘security’ and economic interests in the region. The Chile coup was to be followed by other equally terrible coups leading to similar situations of terror such as that in Argentina which led to several arrests, killings and disappearances, the 1980 Turkey coup Turkey in 1980 ( a Madres movement still makes its presence felt every Saturday at Galatasary Square, Istanbul). These events constituted the bloody presage for the onset of US driven neoliberal policies in these countries – policies which are liberal only insofar as market economics are concerned but which sit comfortably with a range of fascist conservative policies that lead to clamp downs on any form of dissidence and critical thinking.

In many respects, the notion of a ‘September 11’ is inextricably linked with the onset of neoliberal policies, ushered in Chile as a form of trial run against the backdrop of a ruthless fascist deposition of a democratically elected government, in a country which, until then, boasted the longest parliamentary democratic tradition in the region. It is also inextricably linked with those very same neoliberal policies that were attacked, on the same date but different year, by Muslim fundamentalists in a manner that shows that the reaction to Neo-liberalism and hegemonic globalization stems not always from progressive leftists (for example the Ejercito Zapatista in Chiapas on 1 January 1994, marking the coming into effect of NAFTA) but also from religious fundamentalists such as Al Qaeda.

Deaths, torture and destruction are a common feature of the post September 11th aftermaths. This is what the Pinochet regime would mainly be remembered for despite any economic growth the country might have registered in terms of its Neoliberal capitalist development. The notorious Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo Bay and Villa Grimaldi (formerly a centre for progressive meetings during the Allende rule, occupied by the military and turned into a torture chamber) centers stand as stark, chilling reminders of these nefarious policies.

Recent reflections on the USA’s September 11 lead us to focus on what is valued in society, who is deemed worthy of living or of being disposed of, what is it that is fundamentally unsavory about western imperialist politics and what is it that breeds so much resentment against western imperialist powers in many parts of the world to lead to such a barbarous and callous attack on ordinary civilians as happened on that particular day in 2001. But it should lead us to reflect on the first September 11 of 40 years ago, and that in Turkey of 1980, and what they represent in terms of the way western economic interests are safeguarded at the expense of so many innocent lives as was the case in Chile, with the creation of the right (if you can excuse the pun) conditions (toppling an elected government which had been nationalizing services), and the rest of what we call the ‘majority world’ including Africa, Asia and Latin America – the tri-continental world.

These infamous September 11/12ths and their immediate aftermaths lead us to reflect on how critical thinking, dissent and the construction of plausible democratic alternatives, that certainly figured in the dreams and narratives of the many persons, young and old (including high school children in Argentina), who disappeared and lost their lives in Chile and Argentina, not to mention East Timor and, once again, Turkey later, become the first casualties in these situations - when economic interests, at the expense of human rights, occupy centre stage in the foreign policies of western nations. This makes a mockery of the exaltation of these very same democratic virtues in these nations’ discourses regarding the basis of a democratic education.

The connection between the Pinochet regime and the destruction of any semblance of a democratic education was reinforced in recent years as a result of massive student protests in Chile which earned the support of other sectors of the population.iii As I argued in my 2012 book, Politics of Indignation,iv the Chilean coup d’etat brought to an end not only a long democratic tradition in the country but also the idea of education as a human right. At all levels, including state provision at elementary and secondary schooling, education was rendered a consumer good and has remained so till the time of writing.

Students together with a host of other sectors of society, social organizations and trade unions, such as the Central Unitaria de Trabajadores de Chile (CUT), came together to clamor for the right to a free education in a country where one must pay for public education and where university fees are quite steep, leading families into huge debts, legacies of the Neoliberal restructuring occurring since the time of the Pinochet dictatorship. Chilean students have been clamoring for an end to this most undemocratic of measures calling for the right of every citizen to an education, irrespective of means, to be enshrined in the constitution and therefore putting an end to a shameful legacy of the Pinochet rule. This represents the case of stretching the neoliberal thinking with regard to service provision to its extreme. Not that other countries fare much better since any free provision is often poor, underfunded and often of despicable quality which renders the whole issue of choice into a farce. Either pay or be fobbed off with a poor quality service.

My revisiting of a piece I published in 2011 as a reflection on the 10th anniversary of the attack on the twin towers, tweaked to take on board more recent developments and reference to the Turkey situation, is intended as a means to commemorate the victims of numerous courageous men and women who perished in the wake of one of the most horrendous episodes that occurred during my lifetime. 40 years on, we should not forget the bloody birth pangs of Neoliberalism that serve to underline Capitalism’s violent streak.

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/18751-40-years-on-remembering-the-first-9-11

This was practice Shock Doctrine ~ http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine ~ for the Shock Doctrine we're experiencing today, which could not have been possible without our 9/11.

I didn't accept the Truthers Claim that 9/11 was conducted by the Bush People, but I did believe they exploited the hell out of it. I still don't believe bombs and demolitions took down those buildings, just too elaborate and logistically difficult, but I do believe the Bush People, agents of the MIC, followers of the 1% masters made 9/11 happen.

What has resulted is the greatest heist and redistribution of wealth in human history, not just unaccountable MIC expenditures, the Wall Street Inside Job too; from us the 99% to them the 1%; enabled by the fog of War on Terror, the Patriot Act and the myriad laws written to allow this massive SCAM ~ all planned before 9/11 ~ WE GOT ROBBED!! 9/11 was an Inside Job!!

Wealthiest Americans Take Home Biggest Share Of Income Ever Recorded http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/09/11/2602151/record-income-inequality/

UPDATES & MORE BELOW:

48 Comments

48 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 4 points by shadz66 (19985) 10 years ago

Re. ''The Other 9/11'', I echo other posters & ask WhyTF has this forum-post been banned ?!!! I call for zealous and reactionary modding to be reigned in & append the following on this excellent forum-post :

Chile in 1973 was where Empire and Neoliberalism meshed and this history is very important to us all.

'Unban' this thread & 'Truth-Out' article !!!

fiat lux ...

[-] 2 points by DKAtoday (33802) from Coon Rapids, MN 10 years ago

I take it no-one has queried the abuse e-mail contact yet?

[-] 2 points by shadz66 (19985) 10 years ago

Nope & ''The Other 9/11'', by Mickey Z. :

''Since September 11, 2001, there has been a marked increase in the comfort with which those in power openly discuss military interventions and pending. This shift is particularly obvious when examining the "other 9/11."

''Thanks to information made available in documents declassified in 1999, we can coherently discuss the September 11, 1973 coup in Chile...an event cloaked in secrecy and obscured by Cold War paranoia. But those roughly 5000 documents don't begin to explain how the toppling of Salvador Allende fits within the context of today's foreign entanglements. After all, what the U.S. did by replacing Allende with General Augusto Pinochet 33 years ago would today be termed a "regime change"

e tenebris, lux ...

[-] 2 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 10 years ago

nope, I'm embarrassed to say

Well I sent in a query. How lame that no-one uses the site contact.

[-] -2 points by Claudius (-5) 10 years ago

I did. Response was "conspiracy theories are against the forum rules". Damn! 9/11 is not even a conspiracy theory! It's a conspiracy fact! Did you look at the evidence? What about WTC7? What about the Pentagon? A plane, please.... videos show a missile.

Hmmm - funny - this post has been restored - hmmmm. How did that happen? I am thinking that you =

Claudius No Profile Information Private Messages Information Joined Sept. 13, 2013

Did not send in a query.

[-] -3 points by Claudius (-5) 10 years ago

I did. Here's the reply I got.

Please read the forum rules. Conspiracy theories are not allowed.

http://occupywallst.org/forum/moderating-policies-will-be-reposted-somewhere-pro/

"No Platform. Conspiracy theories, will be removed immediately and the spammer will receive a swift global network ban."

Sorry - try again - copy the permalink from the response you received - as it really makes no sense that you got denied for that reason - and yet - here is the post - restored.

[Removed]

[-] -3 points by zimvind (-157) 10 years ago

Then why is Willy still around?

[Removed]

[-] 1 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 10 years ago

The real concern is following the money!

Chomsky with Amy on 9-11 anniversary roundup don't mention dollar one!!

Shock Doctrine, War on Terror, MIC boondoggles make great chaos, cover and shock for Project for the New American Century maniacs, a laissez faire-governed Wall Street and greed-crazed Banksters, to pull off the greatest redistribution of wealth in history. Now we have new reports of highest concentration of wealth at the top 1% since the '20s! Yet no coverage!

I post it and OWS bans it!

WHY?

Please feel free to repost this thread!

[-] 4 points by shadz66 (19985) 10 years ago

Talking of Chomsky : ''All The News That's Not Fit To Print'' ;

No one tells it as clearly as Noam - as 'gnomic' he ain't !!!

Am still none the wiser re. your banned forum-post though !!

This thread is an asset here so needs to be read & solidarity !

pax ...

Luv that poli-Linguist, but his ivory tower shtick is too rich for the masses ~ as Zinn he ain't.

Thanx for the kind thread words, they might have confused it with the Truther conspiracy (ie. molten-metal, building-7) crap. [If you're listening/reading you could let us know.]

9-11 was all about money and power ~ redistribution & usurpation; shock doctrine & class war.

For an equally mysterious reason they put it back.

[-] 3 points by shadz66 (19985) 10 years ago

''Intellectuals should provide a model for connecting scholarship and public life, address important social and political issues, speak to multiple audiences, help citizens come to a more critical and truthful understanding of their own views and their relations to others and the larger society. But they should do more than simply raise important questions, they should also work to create those public spheres and formative cultures in which matters of dialogue, thoughtfulness and critical exchange are both valued and proliferate.'' Excerpted from the article below in reply to your interesting reply :

More in keeping with your original forum-post and your comment above, I also append fyi :

''Wednesday 11th September 2013 marks the fortieth anniversary of what in Latin America is referred to as ‘El primer 11 de septiembre’(the first 11th September). It is the fortieth anniversary of the bloody coup which paved the way, and is said to have been deliberately staged to pave the way, for the introduction of the very same neoliberal reforms that, later at a global level, are shown to have benefited from the measures adopted post 9/11/2001.'' Finally, as per your reference to Howard Zinn :

Yaay for the 'unban' of this thread btw :-)

e tenebris, lux ...

[-] 0 points by WSmith (2698) from Cornelius, OR 10 years ago

democracy begs to diffah.

Errrrrr, ok but ''democracy'' would be a fine thing indeed but all we've got is demoCRAZY deMOCKERYcy ... so we have to struggle on, here and everywhere, in any which way !!!

dum spiro, spero ...

Get out the VOTE!

When the body shows up, the soul is soon to follow!

OR

Floss one tooth!

[-] 2 points by shadz66 (19985) 10 years ago

''Floss One Tooth'' !!! LOL !! That's one of the best lines for absolutely ages, thanx very much indeed !

Btw does that also describe continuously sticking with 'The One Ruling Parasite Class Party with it's Two Factions' paradigm ?!!

verum ex absurdo ...

Great tune ! Greater band name !! My kinda tune as I vacuum the house !!! Here's another from one of my all time favourite bands which is in a similar vein and dig the brass section And The Sentiments ;-)

Two and half minutes of perfect, preachy, pure power pop.

per aspera ad astra ...

[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 10 years ago

Why is this shadow banned?

The usual confederacy of dunces and small-minded hall monitors, like before. For speaking the truth, but never for lying.

[+] -5 points by justaroach (-143) 10 years ago

One can only hope that tptb have finally had enough with the OP and his sock drawer, but, somehow I doubt it.

[-] 2 points by GirlFriday (17435) 10 years ago

Hell, you are a sock.

[-] -3 points by justaroach (-143) 10 years ago

I've been called a lot of things in my life, but I gotta say that "sock" is a first (and rather tame). I have a feeling that you think I am someone else and that is also a deja vu feeling. I only use one logon at a time and gotta tell ya, this one IS dedicated to you. Am sure all the other folks that you have laid your favorite term of endearment on wish they had thought of it!

[-] 1 points by GirlFriday (17435) 10 years ago

Shucks!

[-] 2 points by Renneye (3874) 10 years ago

Exceptional post! Too bad it's shadow-banned!

[-] -3 points by justaroach (-143) 10 years ago

Dooo doo Dooo doo. Who REALLY controls this site????? Strange shadow bannings lately.

[-] 0 points by GirlFriday (17435) 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's you.

Cheney: No One Could Have Predicted The Financial Crisis, Just As No One Foresaw 9/11

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2009/01/09/34620/cheney-911-economy/

1,140 WTC 9/11 responders have cancer — and doctors say that number will grow

‘Sadly enough, I am here just two months, and I have identified a dozen new cancer cases, and I have another 25 patients whose diagnostic test results are pending,’ says Tina Engel, an oncology nurse at North Shore Hospital’s World Trade Center clinic in Queens, NY.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/1-140-wtc-9-11-responders-cancer-article-1.1449499

[-] 1 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 10 years ago

jeez dust deaths must be staggering in Iraq

you get the deadly dust you pay for

How We Got From 9/11 to Massive NSA Spying on Americans: A Timeline

Total Information Awareness, PRISM, encryption back doors, a "black budget" of billions, and everything in between.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/09/nsa-timeline-surveillance

[Removed]

It was covered in the Shock Doctrine documentary available on line.

But ALL the money!

The untold Trillions!

Why hasn't there been more reports on who PROFITEERED from 9-11?

Who's following the MONEY?!

The result being a boondoggle jackpot for the 1%: http://www.news-record.com/news/local_news/article_68660de0-1a80-11e3-95c3-001a4bcf6878.html

And why did this post get banned?

WHY was this banned????

A post about 9/11 and the money posted on 9-11-13!

WHY would you ban this????

Soros and his gang of 1%ers get nervous when their useful idiots get too uppity?

Recrimination is all you unimaginative RW Zombies have, what a bore.

[-] -2 points by zimvind (-157) 10 years ago

OK, let me rephrase. Iran is suing the US/CIA over the 50's coup we engineered. If the Chileans decide to do the same it could really get expensive for the 1%ers that run the world. I know you believe that group is composed solely of "republicans", but that's where you are so sadly wrong (and usefully stupid, btw).

There are exceptions to every rule, but exceptions don't make the rules, they just confuse the black and white thinkers.

There are only varying degrees of greys.

There is no perfection, there is only lesser or greater good or bad.

I'm certain many decent and caring liberals and progressives through normal investments and business cashed in on 9-11; but the Project for a New American Century, Banksters, MIC, Shock Doctrine class war against the 99% greed-addled few in the 1% (who the GOP worship) plotted and executed this largest in history redistribution scheme, to the crimes-against-humanity detriment of the rest of the world.

Follow the money. Let justice reign.

Your tendency to find what you consider a clever insult/catch phrase and use it to death is FAR MORE BORING and boorish

You mean unimaginative & masochistic RW Zombies?

OR

Obedient 1% Cult Followers?

[-] -1 points by TropicalDepression (-45) 10 years ago

A band of cave dwelling rebels took flight lessons in a crop duster in Florida and then turned around commercial jets on the end of Pennsylvania, and flew them with no ground help all the way back to NYC hitting both target perfectly.

So much for all those pilot training regulations. Who needs em!

You might enjoy that piloting, but most travelers wouldn't.