Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: 30,000 strong, We should all be proud to be Americans today.

Posted 12 years ago on Nov. 18, 2011, 3:10 a.m. EST by NLake72 (510)
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

After careful consideration, I have come to the conclusion that all my posts in support of the OWS movement have to be removed. Sadly, this movement, as a whole, appears to be moving in an anarchistic direction that I can no longer endorse or support. The recent decision by the OWS to disavow the NGA and the document known as the 99% Declaration may indeed be well-founded. This is an issue that I don't claim to understand. However, it seems indicative of the lack of direction and leadership this movement is experiencing as a whole. Sadly, this lack of endorsement, and seeming lack of trust between these groups, only seems to lend support to my conclusions that the OWS movement, as a whole, is pushing an agenda that is, at best, inscrutable. In short, if the OWS produces an agenda that I can support, I may decide otherwise. However, at this time, I don't think the OWS is being directed toward a realistic, workable set of solutions to the problems that face our country.

I firmly believe that our system can be can reformed using the tools provided in the Constitution. We have a legitimate right to redress our grievances to the government. I'm unsure if I will endorse any group at this, or a later time. Like the vast majority of Americans, I think the system is badly broken. While I tacitly support the agenda known as the 99% Declaration, I am still hoping for a more perfect document to be created. I certainly don't support all of it's initiatives, nor do I endorse any group at this time. But, until a better plan emerges, I will continue to support the 99% Declaration, because it is the best agenda that I've seen to date. It is a document that deserves to be discussed, and improved. It deserves time in the national spotlight. The issues it addresses deserve a national debate. It's the best document I've seen to date, and I hope something that suits my personal tastes, and more particularly those of the vast majority of Americans emerges.

24 Comments

24 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 3 points by NLake72 (510) 12 years ago

C'mon trolls.... I'm begging you to engage... (They won't, because they don't have a leg to stand upon. This movement has legs, and ideas, and the truth. The time for the 99 is NOW!)

[-] 2 points by MattLHolck (16833) from San Diego, CA 12 years ago
[-] 1 points by NLake72 (510) 12 years ago

I liked this link.

[-] 2 points by NLake72 (510) 12 years ago

Where are the trolls today? No intellectual anarchists? Not even ONE?

My message must ring true to everyone. Thus, there IS a 99%, we do have common ground to stand upon.

"A man who was completely innocent, offered himself as a sacrifice for the good of others, including his enemies, and became the ransom of the world. It was a perfect act." Mohandas Gandhi

Maybe after dinner I can pick up a few trolls. Doubtful though, and this really proves my point... The 99% seem to agree that our country has suffered a coup, our politicians are for sale to the highest bidder. Stand with us against the tyranny of the 1%. They sold America, and now they want to keep the profits. OWS is for everyone, this is proof that we all have a common complaint-- it's the solutions about which we disagree. I expected trollery, but no... We apparently all agree on what's wrong with the system. This is heartening, really.

[-] 1 points by alexrai (851) 12 years ago

So amazing to watch you all from Canada; prior to September 17, I honestly thought this world was doomed. Now I feel there is actually hope, thank you so much. :)

I'm not from Canada, in case there was some confusion, but otherwise I agree-- support from around the world is truly inspirational...

[-] 1 points by dewitback (63) 12 years ago

Yes, I am also from Canada, Toronto, and I am proud to have had faith in this movement since the beginning. To see it grow and become a major discussion point in peoples conversation which raises lots of awareness. Awareness is only half the battle though.

I'm inclined to think that we all agree on the problems, agreeing on the solutions is the difficult part. Educating people, getting the word out, remaining patient and open-minded while the brainwashing media machine spins itself out... This is when we must keep the faith. By the way, Canada is a darn fine country, just sayin'

[-] 0 points by kingscrosssection (314) 12 years ago

You and this entire movement makes me disgusted that you call yourselves Americans and put yourself on the same level as me. Get out please

That's a very anti-American sentiment, and your overall statement is nothing but noise intended to drown out an opposing opinion. Please, be disgusted, but don't expect me to give you the time of day when you are disgusted by the democratic process.

[-] 0 points by kingscrosssection (314) 12 years ago

Attacking police officers and terrifying children is not democratic.

There are always hotheads, the vast majority of the world supports peaceful protest. Don't judge the ideas we can all agree on by the reckless actions of a minority of souls. Frankly, if police or children feel threatened, just imagine how the 1% are feeling. At the same time, I urge you to think critically about what you see and hear, and to be wary of the propaganda machine, it will always focus on a very narrow segment to distract the masses from the bigger picture.

[-] 1 points by kingscrosssection (314) 12 years ago

You claim to represent the 99% which is a vast overstatement so why can't I make another one which is one par with yours?

Your right to overstatement has to be based on solid facts, not breathless propaganda. If you are proven to be right, in the end I will change my mind and choose your side. I already consider you part of mine, for truth resides in my heart.

As does yours. Claiming to represent 99% may sound good to you but I prefer logic (and FACTS) when I make a statement unless I'm trying to make a point.

[Removed]

Police officers do what they are ordered to do and probably make less than you. Why are you damning them? Is it because they are trying to make a living working for you people you have no personal reason to dislike?

[-] 0 points by getajoblosers (65) 12 years ago

I do agree that our politicians are corrupt. That is where I believe most of the problem lies.

[-] 3 points by NLake72 (510) 12 years ago

A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble. Mohandas Gandhi

[-] -1 points by RexDiamond (585) from Idabel, OK 12 years ago

Yes, because all involved today are residents of NYC.

Actions in at least 30 cities across the country and around the world... I love New York, but the idea is everywhere. Ideas change the world.

[-] -3 points by getajoblosers (65) 12 years ago

I am very proud to be American and it has absolutely zero to do with OWS.

Aha! A troll. Go back under your bridge, you didn't respond to my post, you're just making noise. Try again... Please...

[Removed]