Welcome login | signup
Language en es fr
OccupyForum

Forum Post: 2 million 298 thousand 620 families; that’s the 1% does anybody think this will be easy?

Posted 11 years ago on April 8, 2013, 7:12 a.m. EST by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Here’s a chart I picked up from jrhirsch:

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2011

Looking at it, I thought I would see just how big is the 1%? Answer; 2,268,620 taxpayers and political contributors.

I think if we don’t understand that the 2 million most powerful families in the nation stand to lose some of their wealth, if we succeed. As we get close to making real change, expect the resistance to be great and from many places.

I think the first step is elect people that support public funding for elections, that should be the standard we hold each person to, if they are with us there then work like hell to get them elected when the time comes, if not work like hell to beat them. In the mean time we must find ways to bring public funding to the foreground. If we wait for saints we will be waiting forever.

6 Comments

6 Comments

Read the Rules
[-] 0 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 9 years ago

The scope of the fight, here it is....

[-] 0 points by Builder (4202) 11 years ago

0.01% is the target.

Do your sums again.

[-] -2 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 11 years ago

Is it your position that it will be easy?

Oh I remember you don't give a shit about OWS you're just here to distract.

[-] 1 points by Builder (4202) 11 years ago

I've been here from the start, my friend.

Have I distracted you?

The oligarchs are doing their best to distract you, and it seems to be working.

They are the 0.00001%, but who's counting?

They want you to focus on anyone but them.

[-] -1 points by OTP (-203) from Tampa, FL 11 years ago

They may lose some wealth, but if this thing isnt radically changed, structural rise, it wont matter, you will still be trapped at the bottom.

If you want to help on money in politics, here is the best way to do it right now:

https://movetoamend.org/barnstorming

[-] -2 points by factsrfun (8310) from Phoenix, AZ 11 years ago

Working at the state level is good too, we got public funding in AZ back in 1998, but we elect too many Republicans so crap like SB1070 still happens here. At least that's one thing people can do almost everywhere in the country, no matter where you live there's a Republican to defeat.