Posted 1 year ago on May 1, 2014, 3:41 p.m. EST by LeoYo
This content is user submitted and not an official statement
"If, then, control of the people over the organs of their government be the measure of their republicanism, and I confess I know no other measure, it must be agreed that our governments have much less of republicanism than ought to have been expected; in other words, that the people have less regular control over their agents, than their rights and their interests require."
Thomas Jefferson in a letter to John Taylor dated May 28, 1816.
Free Democracy Affidavit Template
I, _ , certify under PENALTY OF PERJURY under the laws of the State of __ that the foregoing paragraphs are true and correct.
- To restrain the corruption that has possessed the United States government and to secure the blessings of liberty to the People of the United States, I fully acknowledge that in order for the People to be free, their elected representatives must be legally bound to serving the specific interests of the People rather than the general interests of the corporations. As such,
- I support that Patriot Dollars should be issued to voters for the sole funding of political campaigns at all levels of government to keep political campaigns free from the undemocratic influences of monied interests that should be prohibited from funding any political advertisements outside of political campaigns. In accordance with this, I shall only accept campaign contributions from voters and not from unions, corporations, or other organizations.
- I support that the offering or acceptance of any item or service of value including but not limited to the offering or acceptance of future employment involving a public official or candidate for public office of any branch or level of government should be prohibited and punishable with equivalence to an act of treason. In accordance with this, I shall not accept any gifts from special interests upon campaigning or holding public office.
- I support that all communication to take place between a lobbyist and a public official should be public and open to the press, the violation of which should be punishable with equivalence to an act of treason. In accordance with this, I shall make all communication between myself and lobbyists open to the press and the general public.
- I support that the separation of corporation and state being necessary for the independence of a democratic government in serving the needs of the people, no public service should be under the management of a private sector entity and all revenue for all levels of government should be deposited in public banks corresponding to each level of government. In accordance with this, I shall not maintain an account with a private bank but shall contribute the support of my personal finances to my local community through membership in a credit union.
- I support that representatives elected by the People should be legally bound to supporting the specific interests of the People. In accordance with this, as an elected representative of the People, I shall always vote in accordance with the majority will of the People that has been expressed through the Democratic Congress of the district I represent even when that will is contrary to my own position.
FreeDA: Establishing Political Accountability
As observed by Thomas Jefferson in 1816 and as confirmed nearly 200 years later by the 2014 study
"Testing Theories of American Politics: Elites, Interest Groups, and Average Citizens" http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gilens%20homepage%20materials/Gilens%20and%20Page/Gilens%20and%20Page%202014-Testing%20Theories%203-7-14.pdf
the well funded business interests of the American elites behind elected representatives have sustained conditions of political unaccountability resulting in a corporate run government unfavorable towards the interests of the American people. Therefore, establishing political accountability through the application of Free Democracy Affidavits or FreeDA can be the grassroots solution for getting corporate money out of politics. For the People to be free, politicians must be legally bound to serving the specific interests of the People rather than the interests of the corporations. By refusing to vote for any candidate who doesn't sign an affidavit legally committing that candidate to supporting the will of the People, voters will be able to exercise their democratic power to hold the candidates who do sign and are elected, legally accountable. However, VOTERS MUST REMAIN UNITED ACROSS PARTY LINES IN THEIR REFUSAL TO VOTE FOR CANDIDATES WHO WON'T SIGN THE AFFIDAVITS. Voters across party lines must become FreeDA voters who will only vote for FreeDA candidates within the party of their choice. This trans-partisan cooperation is essential to the success of bringing about permanent political reform as a vote for a non-FreeDA candidate is a de facto vote for the corporate interests the candidate has decisively chosen to remain open to serving. People must be consistently reminded that YOU CANNOT VOTE FOR CORPORATE BACKED CANDIDATES AND EXPECT AN END TO CORPORATE RUN GOVERNMENT. Unless the vast majority of non-voters should decide to become FreeDA voters, the greatest support shall come from the participation of independent voters willing to forego partisan voting whenever partisan candidates are unwilling to sign a Free Democracy affidavit. If, initially, no candidates are willing to sign in the election in which the affidavits are first presented, it will only be a matter of time before both partisan and non-partisan willing candidates emerge from among the FreeDA supporters in subsequent elections. The consistent presence of FreeDA candidates under partisan labels will also serve to split the partisan votes until either all partisan candidates become FreeDA candidates or FreeDA candidates become the primary choice of the partisan voters. In support of FreeDA candidates both partisan and non-partisan, a FreeDA 501(c)4 PAC would receive contributions to fund ads for all of the FreeDA signers collectively.
What if an elected FreeDA signer declines to uphold an affirmation of the affidavit and the justice system declines to enforce the law? Since the elected official had the majority of the voters' support to win the election, the action to take place in response to a failure of justice will be by that same voting majority as well as by other FreeDA voters from throughout the state. The action that these voters take will have to result in the total shut down of their state capitol along with a demand of the appropriate legal penalties to be enforced against the state attorney general for declining to prosecute the affidavit violator on the grounds of perjury. It is a battle for justice that must be won as the outcome will establish the precedent for all future outcomes. Civil disobedience, a general strike among the non-legal profession employees of the state justice department, and other tactics will have to be well planned in advance on a scale rivaling that of the 2011 Wisconsin protests to see the battle through http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/23473-rich-people-rule-struggle-lies-ahead . This voter solidarity across party lines in the use of affidavits and the demand for justice will be a people's revolution that either establishes democracy http://occupywallst.org/forum/a-democracy/ in America, setting an example for people of similar political situations to follow around the world, or fails and establishes the official American acceptance of the tyranny of corporate rule.
As a political condition that could be nationally implemented by the establishment of a National Democratic Congress http://occupywallst.org/forum/omni-organizing-municipal-national-initiatives/ FreeDA could liberate the public good from the subversive control of private interests.